What next?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Honda

What next?

Post by Honda »

Hi, I am the proud owner of a combat wombat! I have some experience taking hodakas apart, and fixing what needs fixing. I have a number of road toads, wombats, early dirt squirts, and have worked on all without incident. I generally leave the engine work to Roger L, who I dearly love to talk to about all manner of things. But, and of course there is a but or I wouldn't be writing, the combat wombat is in many pieces, in many boxes. I have all of the manuals, have read what I can find on the internet, but this is the first bike that I can take in any direction I desire. The engine will of course be mailed to Ohio. Any suggestions as to how else to proceed? I have obtained a HT3 pipe from SH. Keep the stock forks? shocks? Powder coat vs paint. Porting? Stock carb? And where to begin outside of the engine? Without the direction of a prior disassembly, reassembly is daunting. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And I was thinking of adding lights, since I never seem to know or want to stop when the sun goes down! Thanks.
BrianZ

Re: What next?

Post by BrianZ »

Deciding on what modifications you would like really depends on what you intend to do with the bike. If you want a good reliable trail bike, the CW will work quite well in it's stock form, but upgrading the motor to a reed valve will make it more enjoyable. If you want to compete with the bike a suspension upgrade is a good place to start. For vintage motocross, anything goes depending on the class you intend to enter. Some classes may require the bike to retain piston port induction (no reed valve). You may also want to consider an electronic ignition for reliability and perhaps reduce the chances of plug fouling.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The HT3 pipe is not legal in the AHRMA Classic 125cc Class unfortunately. Sportsman 100cc and 125cc Class yes but not in the Classic class.
Paul
Pep

Post by Pep »

Everything Brian said.
Yes, determine what your goals are for the bike. If you want working lights, the stock coil should have a lighting coil, which will support lights. I've never been disappointed with the big improvement a PVL does for my bikes. PVL won't support lights, but an MZB will - I have a buddy with an MZB and light kit on his bike, works fine.
Suspension-wise, I would at least upgrade from the stock shocks to something better. Front end is fine, if you are planning on some real racing, consider finding a later Hodaka front conical brake (the hub will lace up into the existing wheel). This is a BIG braking improvement. Later (34mm) forks will improve things up front - if doing this, you need to use taller rear shocks to preserve geometry.
I think black paint is just fine. Powder-coating is nice - but you'll have to replace the rubber swing arm bushings (a real pain in my opinion)
Stock carb is fine. Like Brian said, you'll enjoy a reed set up, but you'll need to do associated porting and piston changes. Stock top end is plenty enjoyable and eligible for the Classic class in AHRMA.
Assembly is easy. Get a shop manual for the Wombat/CW - it will help.
For serious competition bikes, think about weight issues (plastic tank, fenders, etc.) but for a fun/trail bike, I would consider keeping all that lovely chrome.
Post photos and enjoy!
-Laurie
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Keeping it stock is fine, but I found the reed valve makes the bike much more enjoyable on the trail. My CW is set up for trail riding with the enduro kit. Stock carb with a re-jet of the main. Plastic fenders are nice because they flex if you don't keep the rubber side down. The SS fenders are nice too, but they dent. I put on an Ace tank because it holds more fuel. The CW tank was just too nice to dent. Ace tanks are much more plentiful. Of course there is plastic, but I like the chrome. My stock fenders and tank are in great shape and on a shelf.
Attachments
trail set up CW
trail set up CW
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

It looks like a really fun project! I'm jealous! I also vote reed and retouchable paint. One step at a time is my motto-Have FUN!

Maxie
Pep

Post by Pep »

Here are some photos that might help. Progression of the same bike over a couple of years
Stock (except for reed set up)
CWgraphic.jpg
Race equipped (03 front end, plastic, borrowed air cover)
IMG_3207.JPG
And the trail bike it is today. Lights, Wombat tank (bigger capacity), rack, kept the hub but went back to 30mm forks, and hand guards
IMG_4012.JPG
Any direction you go, you'll love it - CW's are great!
-Laurie
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Just interested to know why you went back to the 30mm forks Laurie? I am considering the 250/03 forks on my CW and the fact that you went back to stock set me to thinking.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Pep

Post by Pep »

They are great. Few of my own reasons:
1. At the time, that was the only 03 set I had, so I put them on my Sportsman bike (Super Combat) for 2014. Now I have a couple of sets sitting around :)
2. I think the improved forks probably serves a heavier rider (and a more aggressive one for that matter) better. At about 135lbs soaking wet, I just don't have many 'bottoming out' issues, even on the rough tracks. I'm sure there are guys that feel these forks make a significant difference for their size and riding style. And they can certainly take more abuse.
3. They are heavier than stock. I don't think this is anything to be concerned about, but it was always in the back of my mind about what I might be trading for suspension (see #2) vs added weight. Helped with starting line wheelies though :P
So I put those 30's back on, and after rides in the Big Bend mountains, Colorado, and the ROCKY Tulsa ISDT RR ride, I still don't see a need to rush back to 34's.
No charge for the 2 cents
-Laurie