Cluttch issues

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JayLael

Re: Cluttch issues

Post by JayLael »

Yes, Kevin. I have the thrust washer fitted, and it actually isn't blue, just a trick of photography. I think once the rotor gear is broken, the pieces start to rub. I am considering an idea thought of by our Captain Ed. To fit a narrow ring on the outside of the gear, at the end with the internal teeth, to contain the forces which try to blow the gear apart. It may fit, Will need to do some careful measuring.
The washers and the 3.5 mm clearance at the port hole, have fixed my clutch slipping issues beautifully.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jay I think you can glue that gear back together :-)
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Oh, Paul I never thought of that! Perhaps I can sublet it to J and B welding. ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There you go Jay !!!!! Hey by the way Happy Anniversary too !! One of these days we will bump into each other. Just please do not take Scott Wallenberg out!! He is a friend too just like you.
Paul
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Funny you should mention that. He and I have raced quite a bit this summer, and I have been super careful, not to crash him, BECAUSE I never have forgotten how it felt that time way back when, to take YOU out. I was sick to my stomach.

You were supposed to shut the throttle, but you didn't.

At the time I was certain I was simply returning the favor, since I had been taken out by YOU just a few laps prior to that.

Since then, I really don't do that, even when it might be warranted.

I apologize again for putting you in that position where you were faced with the choice of trying to win, or saving yourself. In your position, I would have chosen to save myself. I did not have that luxury when your Hodaka took out my front wheel, whether it was intentional or not, and I believe it was not intentional, but I thought it was at the time. Way back in 2005 we were both younger and more full of shite.
Today I would have just let you go.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have that photo of us after that race on the wall above my desk. Both red faced, both with blue Hodaka jersey's and both this Hodaka race pants. It was a great day and a lot of fun. I promise that I never meant to take you out that race. Never ever meant to take anyone out deliberately except Ed during the grampa race!! I wanted Chesnut something bad :-)
All good hey you are still out there doing it and on a Hodaka too! Be safe and have fun I love reading about your races.
Thanks
Paul
Attachments
jay.jpg
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

At the risk of sounding like a braggart, this might be as good a time as any to mention that I have sewn up the Pacific Northwest championship for 2015, aboard the Rich Gagnon, Ron Liddle, Jay Lael built Wolverine. :) I did this simply by racing as many of the races as I could, rarely winning first, just a whole butt load of second and third place finishes. I still think it's pretty cool. :)

On a completely different note, will there be another chance to purchase those Hodaka pants from Metro? My same old ones are getting pretty trashed. I have had people ask me where they can buy them. What would it take to get a set these days?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Actually, my clutch idea involves a bit of work on the inside of the rotor gear - Jay had the idea about the outside of the rotor gear. Hey, we've got two ideas to play with!

Jay, way to go on the Championship! It makes me think of the movie "Little Fauss and Big Halsey". Big Halsey (Robert Redford) revels in the fact that he was in the lead when he (fill in the blank) (crashed, blew up the engine, faded due to partying the night before, etc). Whereas Little Fauss, got his rest, respected the engine redline and the rest of the machine, seldom if ever crashed . . . and carried home the Gold at the end of the season. Good and steady is a good plan!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

JayLael wrote:At the risk of sounding like a braggart, this might be as good a time as any to mention that I have sewn up the Pacific Northwest championship for 2015, aboard the Rich Gagnon, Ron Liddle, Jay Lael built Wolverine. :) I did this simply by racing as many of the races as I could, rarely winning first, just a whole butt load of second and third place finishes. I still think it's pretty cool. :)

On a completely different note, will there be another chance to purchase those Hodaka pants from Metro? My same old ones are getting pretty trashed. I have had people ask me where they can buy them. What would it take to get a set these days?
Hey Jay, I'm also looking for those pants, it seems everybody but me has them!

Max

And congrats on the championship! :)
Carmine77s

Post by Carmine77s »

What's up with the nasty grab on my 74 Super Rat clutch? Going to replace the clutch. Should I buy a whole new unit or replace plates and springs? Will be racing it next season.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

You can learn all about making Hodie clutches engage smoothly in the "Resonator Revisited", the Hodaka Club newsletter. You are a member . . . ? Riiiight? ;)

Ed
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

Looking to cure clutch slippage on hot Hodaka's . Has anyone found stiffer springs ? This is a hub I set up with stiffer springs , as yet untested. Stock spring for comparison .

Kev

Zyx

Post by Zyx »

How did you determine they were stiffer, or by how much?
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

With a bathroom scale. 10kg to bottom out a stock single outer spring ,14kg for the two springs and 20kg for one of these springs .
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I have to admit I would not have thought of using a bathroom scale. Give them a try then. It will probably make clutch lever action stiff, but should also increase clamp force. As long as they fit in the pockets without binding under pressure.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

And a test to assure that the "new" springs don't "coil bind" with normal actuation movement would be a good idea.

ie, the springs will be pre-loaded (compressed) a certain amount when the clutch gets assembled. Will the springs allow for the additional compression needed when the clutch lever is actuated?

Will be interested to hear how the test goes.

Ed
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Kevin have you checked to see what the metal the spring is made from? If it is the wrong alloy it could loss it's tension as the clutch heats up from use. DG
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

Ed they bind less than stock when compressed to the stock springs full compression length. Doug they are KX 85 clutch springs so will be ok in that regard.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

So it sounds like the details have been addressed . . . and a good "R & D" project is afoot.

Ed
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

There is one down side and that is you loose 7 teeth on the gear
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Besides that . . . there is a bit of concern that a more positive "lock up" might over-stress some other component in the power train - and certainly those lost teeth bring up a bit of worry. But what good "R&D" project doesn't involve taking a risk to find out what will actually happen?

Like I said earlier, I'll be waiting for test results.

Ed