HT3

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

HT3

Post by Zyx »

Just received a new HT3 with muffler. Trial fitting parts and I find that the muffler does not slip fit on the pipe. The outlet end of the HT3 appears to be comprised of three diameters of tube, the inner which is the stinger, the outer, which is a flared connection, and a filler tube between the two to make up the difference between the inner diameter of the muffler and the outside diameter of the stinger which is too small to fit by itself. In my case the filler piece is close to the same diameter as the muffler inlet so they don't simply go together. Certainly not without force or modification. Either the filler piece is too large, or the muffler inlet is not flared enough to fit over the filler piece. It would take more than just a bit of grunt to get them together, and I don't want to hack into a new pipe if it is not needed.

Has anyone had similar results with the new batch of HT3's?

If photos are needed here for clarity I will try to figure out how to do that.

Thanks

Greg McClintock
Prescott, AZ
racerclam

Re: HT3

Post by racerclam »

I had the very first run of these pipes and had no issue so im not sure where your problem is , Picture helpful

Rich
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Stinger against muffler inlet
Stinger against muffler inlet
Stinger end
Stinger end
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Muffler inlet ID is 28mm exactly. Stinger OD (filler pipe) is 28.62mm (1 1/8th inch or 1.125 inch). Roughly half a millimeter too large to go into muffler inlet. The inlet is a flared tube. So either the flare is not large enough, or the filler tubing is too large. Anyway, they don't go together.
Last edited by Zyx on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

I think the oops ! Is on the muffler side , better see what Paul knows of this one .

Rich
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Will wait for his response. He might still be on the road, or recovering from HD and the drive.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I found the same problem when I tried to install my new HT3. Problem looks to be with new silencer. I am sure it will be addressed when things return to normal. I have just returned from Hodaka Days and am playing catch up, so Paul is probably swamped.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am sorry about the problem with the pipe; I was just made aware of it this morning and I have already spoken to our manufacturer to make them aware of the issue also. After my conversation with them we have determined the best way to get this rectified immediately is that the manufacturer will be sending out call tags from UPS to each of the folks that we have send pipes with to and they will ask that you put just the silencer back in a box, apply the tag from UPS (no cost to you) and send off. Once they receive them back, they will jump right on correcting the issue, and they will personally ship them back to you right away. I really apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused but I have made clear to the manufacturer the urgency on getting this corrected! If for some reason you do not receive the call tag by the end of this week please let me know.
We are sorry again for this trouble !
Sincerely
Paul
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

No worries on my end. Certain that all will be right soon. I like the build quality on the pipe. Never could weld like that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry everyone involved with the HT3 pipes for the trouble. It unfortunately looks like the pipes are going to go back to SLP not the mufflers. So if you still have your boxes they came in please save them. I am over my head as usual with orders,emails,calls being gone almost three weeks from SH. My son Chris is working with Starting Line to solve this today.
Stay tuned please and please forgive the mistake they made we will make it right.
Thanks
Paul
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Received word this afternoon from Chris, who says that SLP has decided that the pipe is right, the muffler wrong, so we should just stand by for news. Makes sense to me since the filler pipe on the stinger is a fairly standard size, i.e., 1.125". That would suggest the muffler inlet, which is one inch tubing expanded with a mechanical expander, was simply not expanded far enough. They were expanded to 1.1" ID rather than 1.125 ID + tolerance for fitment, perhaps 1.128 to 1.130 more or less depending on what the slip fit tolerance should be. Readily fixable, except that a 1.0 to 1.125 tube expander is rare unless you fabricate tube stuff all the time. Have to say that the pipe itself is a work of art.