end of the Toad?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
c3rea1ki113r

end of the Toad?

Post by c3rea1ki113r »

So my Road Toad does not want to start.
Ignition is on. I am not seeing any spark from spark plug.
I am not the best mechanic. Please if anyone can help.
I would love to run the Toad on the trails now that the weather is nice out.

Please help.
Thanks
Dan
BrianZ

Re: end of the Toad?

Post by BrianZ »

First things first; are both the key and the handlebar kill switch on?

Failing that, here is a quick checklist:

1 - Make sure the spark plug is good. Check the plug cap.
2 - Check to make sure the points are opening and closing. Is the gap correct?
3 - Make sure the points and condenser are good. If they are suspect, replace them.
4 - Check the wiring between the magneto and coil. Look for opens and shorts.
5 - Is the coil good? Check with an ohmeter.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Assuming that it was running the last time you used it, the points are first most suspect, unless you loaded up the plug with bad gas trying to start it. If the plug is dry, try it on something else like a lawnmower to see if it sparks. But then check the points. Condensation from the atmosphere just sitting around can corrode the point surface. Clean with a strip of 220 wet and dry and wipe away grit. Try again. Sometimes the magneto coils and flywheel can rust up and close the air gap, but I would go there last unless you have a flywheel puller and know how to use it. It is usually something simple. My Hodaka is 43 years old and still sparks, and I have not had the points or magneto apart since about 1979. I don't ride it much, either, but anyway…the system is pretty simple, so what is wrong is usually something simple as well.
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

A couple of other things.

Man, just change the plug from the getgo.... A B8HS cost 2 bucks at Advance Auto...

Also, do all the things others told you and if that does not work, MAKE sure your points are moving freely - Opening and Closing. My Rat would give me fits by running sometimes and others not. Finally I took the points apart, cleaned the shaft they ride on, lubed that shaft, and the bike has never had another problem. Of course I could also have put new points on there but they were in great shape.

Good luck and tell us what you have tried and if it is running!

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
c3rea1ki113r

Post by c3rea1ki113r »

where do I find the points? Thanks for all the replies.
Pep

Post by Pep »

New points? Strictly Hodaka.
Points on your Toad - behind the flywheel, which is behind the shift cover (assuming these are like early chrome tanks models)
You can do a little service to them with the flywheel on - replacing or a thorough cleaning means you'll have to pull the flywheel, which *requires* a flywheel puller (buy from SH).
If you don't have a manual handy, check out the SH site for exploded diagrams
Hope that helps - post any questions or photos - everyone would be happy to walk you through the process (easy I swear) and get that Toad back on the Road!
-Laurie
c3rea1ki113r

Post by c3rea1ki113r »

What type of oil should I use for the crank case?
Pep

Post by Pep »

BelRay 80w gear oil is always a winner. Any good quality gear oil will work. Search this forum for more opinions from others
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

After you replace the plug check for spark.

Then find the points... Take the 220 grit sand paper OR an nail filing (emory) board works well too and polish the contacts on the points. You can do this part WITHOUT removing the points. Just reach in and open them, but in sand paper, let the close and move it back and forth until clean.

IF THAT DOES not work, tell us and you will need to remove the flywheel and go on in...

On the crankcase oil... There are many opinions here. Many use Bel Ray, other use NON-DETERGENT 30w like the book called for... A lot of us use ATF TYPE F. All good. If you are going to use ATF, IT MUST BE TYPE F! Do not use modern car engine oils or synthetics as they will cause your clutch to slip.

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
c3rea1ki113r

Post by c3rea1ki113r »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try cleaning the points this weekend.