I need some help

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
waynesworld66

I need some help

Post by waynesworld66 »

Has anyone removed the oil injection pump on a 250sl to let in run premixed?
Do or would I have to take any precautions within doing it? I am just hoping for answers that would help me prevent doing something wrong or at least making a mistake.
Thanks
racerclam

Re: I need some help

Post by racerclam »

I run all 3 of my Hodaka 250s on premix I believe its the best way to go , the oil injection pumps way too much oil if your using a ggod quality synthetic which requires much less and flows much better through the system. I left the pump and line still installed so it looks right but the other bikes , thunder dog and RG 250 are pump delete

Rich
waynesworld66

Post by waynesworld66 »

Thanks for the quick response.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

You will also have to purchase, or fabricate your own, cover plate and gasket to blank out the drive hole between the transmission and (former) oil pump chamber/cavity.
youngster

Post by youngster »

Can anyone tell me where to look for Vin number I found a frame at junk yard and it's looking alot like these bikes and be for I chop it up an customize it I want to know what I have so I don't ruin it
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

If you are referring to where to find the frame (VIN) number on the frame, it depends on the year. Since we don't know, there are three places to look for the frame number. Check 1) on the manufacturers plate on the front on the steering head, 2) on the frame gusset on the left side front down tube, and 3) on the upper left side of the frame just under and about half way back of where the saddle would mount. Now, if you are referring to where to look up a frame number you have already found so that you can identify which frame you have, go to the Strictly Hodaka web site and you'll find a frame number identification chart. If you can't find a frame number on any of the three sites I mentioned, look on the front of the steering head again. If there are two empty holes, then the manufacturer plate has been removed. In that case, you can try posting pictures and measurements of the frame here and we might be able to figure out what you have. Alternatively, depending on your plans for the bike, you can register the frame as a custom fabrication and have the DOT assign a VIN number to it. Good luck.
youngster

Post by youngster »

How do I post pics in here
youngster

Post by youngster »

Not all that good with Internet But I don't see any where to post them
youngster

Post by youngster »

So this is what I got at a junk yard for 25 bucks I was gonna chop it out an make a rat bike but I started wondering what kind of bike it was and then started doing a little research which brought me to this group chat I cannot find any VIN numbers and it seems to be that someone added a pulley system to go from a 5 horse Briggs & Stratton pulley to chaIn driven ??? Idk what to do if it's something that can be brought back to life I Won't chop it up
Attachments
20180505_110919.jpg
20180505_110927.jpg
20180505_110937.jpg
20180505_110944.jpg
20180505_111003.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I'm not sure what frame you have there - but I am sure it is not a Hodaka frame.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
youngster

Post by youngster »

What could it be ??
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

It must be good enough that it features a leading link front end ala VanTech. Do you see any markings, numbers, or lettering at all anywhere on the bike? If that is a VanTech front end, you got yourself a good deal.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Could it be a Steens that went to wonderland? ------------- Clarence
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Not Steen, not Van Tech either, geometry of the front end is wrong. Frame is set up for a lawn mower motor and a torque converter power train. I've never seen the jack shaft set up as part of the frame assembly, so you may have to find a mini bike guy to help identify it.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I was hoping you'd weigh in on this bike, Dan. Interesting that a minibike would feature a sophisticated leading link front end on a mower engine powered bike. Maybe its pretty cool.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

The wheels and front end look to be Steen, but the frame definitely is not. Drop a Harbor Freight motor in at and get it going, won't see another
youngster

Post by youngster »

I just went looking for frames to customize an make a rat bike ...ik there was a 5hp Briggs on it at one time ..I was gonna get the Predator motor and throw it in there just to have some fun and customize things would anyone be able to tell me where I could get regular Forks that would fit this
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

The original starting point might have been Steen, but the back bone, and the cradle have been heavily modified to install the jack shaft and swingarm pivot assembly. I'll keep scanning the pics.
youngster

Post by youngster »

Thanks now that I thought it was one of the Originals I'm interested in getting one in the near future
Andy007

Post by Andy007 »

I rebuilt a SL250 years ago and from what I remember I just removed the oil pump in case it siezed. Its only injected into the intake, unlike a Can Am I had that injected oil into the intake and main bearings. One of my buddies has it now and it fired right up after 15 years and I did a burn out in his basement. Prob only has 15 -20 hours on the motor and has been fine. I think I ran 40:1 Amsoil synthetic. My fresh 100 seems to love 32:1 Klotz techniplate.
djdesantis

Post by djdesantis »

Looks like a Rupp, but also looks like a home made job too. The design of the frame between the tank mount to the seat area seems like a poor, weak design. Good luck.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yep - probably not the ride to be on over that do-or-die triple.
kc57

Post by kc57 »

It's most likely a Fox Thunderbolt. Here is one i did for my grandson a few years ago. Fun little bikes !
Attachments
DSCN0556 (2).JPG
DSCN0554 (1).JPG
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

How cool is that!?!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Learn something new every day. :!: