Road Toad Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Road Toad Project

Post by hodakamax »

A good friend has been procrastinating on a 99 Road Toad for years.(Decades?) I finally said I'd do the engine if he would do the rest. Here's the progress on my part. Nothing has to be original so I went with the blasted prototype look.
This project was to be ridden in the ISDT Reunion Ride, but didn't get finished in time. (Thanks, Laurie, for offering John a ride!)
Stay Tuned!
Max and Eweleen
Attachments
RoadToadCylinder_173.jpg
Masking Blocks in Place
Masking Blocks in Place
Blasted Parts
Blasted Parts
Oil pump plugs (Ace Hardware)
Oil pump plugs (Ace Hardware)
Engine with total rebuild
Engine with total rebuild
hodakamax

Re: Road Toad Project

Post by hodakamax »

Question: After assembling this engine I found Hodaka Service bulletin HSB-19 (#99 Road Toads were after my time in the Hodaka business), which called for replacing the head and modifying the exhaust port bridge. I got the bridge figured out, but how do I know if I have the later head? All parts lists show # 992051. It also calls for timing 2.4 mm BTDC. Any input on this?

Thanks, Maxie
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Dang, I've forgotten what mod's might have been done to the cylinder head . . . so can't comment on that. Except to comment that the part number on the heads were not changed . . . so checking the part number doesn't tell you anything about modifications which may or may not have been completed.

Sounds like you've handled the relieving of the exhaust bridge . . . which is absolutely required. Failure to relieve the exhaust bridge WILL result in a top end seizure -- probably on the first trip out on the street. So it is good that you've handled that.

I can confirm that the ignition firing point should be 2.4mm BTDC (.094").
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

We are considering changing out the stock wheels on the 99 Road Toad to a 21/18 combo. Any input on the best way to proceed? We could lace up new wheels and if so, what type/brand is preferred? Or, does anybody have any used units for sale?
Thanks, Maxie
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

You want normal looks ? or it doesnt matter? I got Excel Rims from Excel and will get spokes from Buchanan's for my Steens project. Limited on certain sizes of replacement rims, so research what you want and need.....
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Swap in later model 02 Road Toad, or Wombat, model 03 wheels. Just like what you have, but 21X18.
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

We found a good buy on a pair of Maxxis knobbies size 70/100x19,100/100x17. Will these work on the RT?(99)
Thanks!

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Maybe I should re-phrase that question- will a 100/100x17 tire fit in the swingarm-and will the 70/100x19 be a good match for the front? 19 and 17 knobbies are hard to find-that is the reason we were considering the 21/18 option. Opinions appreciated!
Thanks!

Maxie
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

What's the goal of the project? For a general trail/play bike the 17"/19" combo will work fine. If want a little more serious off road bike than you will want to go with 18"/21" wheels. Remember, with bigger wheels you may need to change the gearing, the speedo will be wrong (I doubt you are using one), and your kickstand will be too short.

There's not a lot of room for a wide rear tire on the Toad. I have a 100/100-18" on my Toad and it measures about 4.4" wide. It will just clear the swingarm and chain but it will not let me run a chain guard. For comparison sake I checked 3 100/100 - 18" tires and they varied from 4.4" to 4.7" wide.

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Brian,
Thanks for your input. The bike will be used for trail only, but we do want some aggressive tires. Maxxis was the only tire I could find in the 19/17 size. I also checked the 100/100-18 on my off road 94A. It measured 4.7 inches and is real close with no chain guard. I think it will probably work. My friend is old and short legged just like me so I think the 19/17 set up will work good for him.
Maxie
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Check with Don Daugherty of AllMoto Tire in (Graham?), WA. He can offer you the needed tires & is a Hodaka guy.
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Bob-I checked Allmoto site and still no big block knobbies for 17/19 sizes. After checking the Maxxis home site spec page I found that their 100/100-17 M7-305 is 4.3" wide and should fit in RT swing arm. Looks as if this might be the hot set-up for 99RTs. The matching 19 is 70/100-19 M7-304.
Maxie
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

If you get the Maxxis (what else could Max get?) - let us know how they look & fit, as the 17x19 issue is a common one.

Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

That name does have a nice ring about it.

Max
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I have also found some hard to find tires on some of the manufactures websites, but they don't sell to individuals. In checking with most of the commonly known tire sellers, none of them carry the tires I would have liked to buy (they advise not enough demand). So, if you locate someone that sells the hard to find sizes, please let us know. Thanks
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The sizes we have been discussing seem to be in stock at most major tire sellers dealing in Maxxis. (love that name). Maybe you can find some of the other weird sizes in that brand. Good luck!

Max
#18Hodaka

Post by #18Hodaka »

Here are some pictures of the Toad when we started this project. The bike had been stolen from its original owner and when found had been spray painted with blue and silver paint. The paint was everywhere including the seat, tires, shocks, and chrome parts. The bike has been completely taken apart and the frame, swing arm, and most other components which were originally black have been repainted. The gas tank is a whole other project and I haven't decided on a color to paint it. I have an old Ace 100 chrome tank I may use.
Attachments
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG
Pep

Post by Pep »

That poor thing. Can't wait to see the "after" photos - looks on her way to an Extreme Makeover!
Have fun with the project and keep us posted on progress!
-Laurie
Firehawkmph

Post by Firehawkmph »

Max,
I was given a road toad a number of years back. It came out of a barn and was painted the same shade of blue. I took it all apart and its stored away for now.
Mike Hawkins
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Mike - Welcome to the group. Sounds like its time to start another "Road Toad Project".

Maxie