Cure for FSS

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
taber hodaka

Cure for FSS

Post by taber hodaka »

Does anyone have a cure or remedy for FSS it is directly affecting me and reflecting, concern in my shop. I thought if anyone of you suffered the same, you could recommend something that could bring some relief. A cure or any positive change could allow me to enjoy working in the shop more. FSS flat spot syndrome ?? Even the lid on the parts washer is covered with clutter, within a short while after use. Any solutions or suggestion of how you deal with it would be appreciated. Thank you Clarence
givergas

Re: Cure for FSS

Post by givergas »

clarence, we must be brothers from a different mother . i just picked up a free parts washer a few weeks ago i had high asperations for it cleaned it all up got it working as it should and proceeded in cluttering the lid up so its pretty darn camouflaged now. i dont know if i can help but i feel your pain ....albert
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I make more shelves - which sounds organized right? But I also put short boards on top of bike seats, so more stuff can be stacked there. And I've found that on old Belstaff riding coat will, if folded just so and then laid out on top of the handle bars of yet another motorcycle. . . well lots of good stuff can be um, balanced on top of the riding coat! So the solution to FSS (it seems to me) is - buy more bikes. Their top surfaces aren't really flat, so you can more easily progress to the next stage A_S _S (All Surface Syndrome. That's what has worked(?) for me.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Flat spots only last to the next project or repair. Probably no cure. Seems it takes longer to clear and put-up than fill-up. Just straightened it out, covered again. Can happen on the floor when your hands are full. Getting late in life to change an old dog's thinking and habits. Inventing and fixing can drag on forever if you stop to put up things and can break your line of thought. Better get 'er done while on a tear. Tools are still here but where? The time to straighten things out yet again. Don't know what to tell you Clarence, guilty here. 8-) Maxie
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The only advice I have is just what works for me. There is no magic. At least twice a year, I just go nuts and burn a weekend on a massive cleaning frenzy. Part of the process is spent on inventory and organization. A "place for everything and everything in its place" approach is key. Don't stop until your shop is assembled like a giant 3-D jigsaw puzzle. Like everything tedious, getting started is 95% of the battle. I even go so far as to open boxes of parts that have been jammed here or there to reorganize them as well. If you have several projects spread about all competing for attention, time, and space, prioritize one and isolate everything associated with that project. Then, organize, package, and label everything associated with all other projects separately and put aside. Now that your shop is uncluttered, take on one well-organized project at time and complete it. Then move on to the next. Part of the problem when things get out of hand is that doing anything specific requires sorting through so much clutter at the outset just to get started. Especially if the parts get co-mingled. Getting started working when a tedious clean-up task is the first order of business makes it too easy to forgo getting started at all. And of course, I try to adhere to rule #1 for every shop class I took throughout high school: At the end of the work day, ALL tooling is put away and all shop equipment is swept down. Stepping into a nice, clean, well-organized shop is inspirational. I will do this to my shop this spring in preparation for getting bikes ready for the season. It is actually fun, usually results in my finding at least a few things I've been missing, and makes working in the shop much more efficient and enjoyable. I also like to incorporate a few little shop improvements with these cleaning sessions. Improve lighting for a work station, fabricate some organizational method for storage of parts, or otherwise design and fabricate anything that "customizes" the shop for your specific needs and interests. That makes it fun.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I have FSS as well. Additionally I have WTFDIPI syndrome(where the f^€k did I put it)! Opening parts boxes and then forgetting where I put all the stuff from the parts box! I try to label the parts box for the project it’s intended, but I don’t always find the box when I need it!

Also have the same problem, when I find something and say “I’ll need this for x!” Then it’s time to put x together and it’s WTFDIPI again!

Don’t feel bad, Clarence. Flat spaces are designed to hold things! Just look at my chest freezer, my work bench, top & bottom, the new shelves I just built, the cabinet in my garage I use to store parts. FSS everywhere! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90