Attaching badges to Clarke tank

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

Attaching badges to Clarke tank

Post by Zyx »

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I thought I would ask for suggestions on attaching new tank badges to the Clarke plastic tank. I was thinking of using Right Stuff. Anyone have a favorite method? Thanks
JayLael

Re: Attaching badges to Clarke tank

Post by JayLael »

Clear silicone is advised, but I suppose right stuff would work also, as long as you are careful to remove any excess. I set the badge on the bottom ledge of the tank opening, and let the top part just set where it will. I'm sure you noticed that the tank openings are smaller than the badges right? When you do it this way they look fine, and I've had no problems with it so, go for it!
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I have noticed that the indent is smaller, which means that there is a void beneath the badge. I was thinking right stuff because it is stronger than most silicone glues and fillers. Always careful about what shows so I would not use so much that it squishes out. Just wondered how folks were doing it, knowing that the badge does not sit flat on the tank.

Thanks.
hodakaguy

Post by hodakaguy »

Arizona Shorty wrote:Instead of reinventing the wheel, I thought I would ask for suggestions on attaching new tank badges to the Clarke plastic tank. I was thinking of using Right Stuff. Anyone have a favorite method? Thanks
DO NOT USE ANYTHING except silica seal!!!!!!

I ruined a set of badges because the glue melted away the paint on the emblem even though the glue had nothing I would consider bad for paint.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Right stuff is a silicone sealant, primarily intended as a gasket maker, just a lot more durable than your average window and door sealant, or automotive RTV. It is black, which is the reason for the comment to use carefully or it will show around the edges. It is not an invasive or solvent glue.
BrittB

Post by BrittB »

Be sure to do it off the bike and lay it on it's side just doing one side at a time and letting the silicone set before doing the other side. It seems to be the least hassle way to do this task!
Britt Boyette
Clarke MFG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A mind is like a parachute, it only works when you open it. Frank Zappa