Exhaust pipe question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
WackyHodacky

Exhaust pipe question

Post by WackyHodacky »

Hey Guys. New to the group. Have owned an Ace 100 and Super Rat and just picked up a '78 Road Toad. The exhaust pipe is completely rusted through. I have a lead on a pipe from a '73 Wombat and just wondering if it would fit. I know a lot of Hodaka parts are interchangeable. Having a very difficult time finding a Toad pipe that I can afford! Thanks in advance for any help.
BrianZ

Re: Exhaust pipe question

Post by BrianZ »

The 73 Wombat and Road Toad pipes are entirely different animals. ;) The Wombat pipe screws on to the cylinder whereas the Toad pipe is a slip fit held in place with springs. I'm pretty sure that the Road Toad pipe is exclusive to the Road Toad.

Brian
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Oops, hold the press. The model 01 Dirt Squirt pipe is the same as the Road Toad. Just make sure the pipe is from an 01 Dirt Squirt and not the 96 Dirt Squirt.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brian the 73' Wombat was a slip on type pipe where it slipped into the screw on exhaust flange like the (93) Super Rat did. The OD of the pipe though is 1mm larger than the Toad pipe. So to use a Wombat (94A) pipe on a Toad you will need to use an exhaust flange from a (98) Super Rat,Super Combat or (03) Wombat.

Not sure how the pipe would work though on a Toad.
Paul
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

On my 1973 model 94 Wombat, the pipe has a large nut on the front, where it screws onto threads on the iron cylinder. Not sure about the later Wombats, but the early one was a screw on style, like the Ace 100's
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 1972 Wombats (94) yes did have it that way but the 1973 (94A) Wombats used a slip in pipe to the screw on exhaust flange.
thanks guys
Paul
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I guess I learned something today! My Wombat is a screw on type pipe and I assumed that both the 94 and 94A were the same. Thanks for the correction Paul.

Brian
WackyHodacky

Post by WackyHodacky »

Thanks Guys! Will look for a 01 Dirt Squirt pipe as well. Appreciate the input.