Hodaka Headlight Options **Solution**

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rlkarren

Hodaka Headlight Options **Solution**

Post by rlkarren »

Forgive the long post but... I've done quite a bit of research in finding headlights for our beloved street/trail machines and feel that I've found solutions for ALL Hodakas.

Before proceeding, credit is due to a previous post, which I cannot find, that mentioned one of these lights. I was mistaken when I said that it was too small. It's actually a perfect fit.

Here's the list and my findings:

1. Autopal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330992935255?ss ... 1423.l2648

This semi-sealed beam is manufactured in India and is available from various venders domestically. It is labeled "Off-Road use only", but appears to be DOT approved.

The Autopal semi sealed beam accepts an H4 Halogen bulb. 6v 35/35w and 6v 25w/25w bulbs are available from the same vender. Fits perfectly inside an OEM trim ring for the Ace 90/100, (the large bucket). It is a tall light so it may be a little tight when placing it into the bucket. The Ace 100B and later trim rings will need to be modified to fit. See this post for modifications: http://www.hodakaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=415

The H4 bulb takes a 3 prong socket. Simply use the Ace 90/100 socket in all applications.

Disadvantage: There are no 6v 15/15w H4 halogen bulbs... yet...

2. Candlepower: http://store.candlepower.com/ca5quhahebun.html

This semi-sealed beam is made by Candlepower, Inc in Rockville, Maryland. The Candlepower light accepts H4 bulbs, It fits perfectly in side the Ace 90/100 Trim ring, but the Ace 100B and later rings will need to be modified also. However this light is not as "tall" as the Autpal and will fit a little better. H4 Bulbs need to be purchased separately from another vender.

This is the light I am currently using. It is rated for street use and is DOT approved. The lens is flat, unlike OEM and the Autpal bulb which is convex and has a more "modern" looking lens. I think this is the best option for Ace100B and later bikes

Disadvantages: There are no 6v 15/15w H4 halogen bulbs... yet... And it's also the most expensive @ $45.00, bulb not included.

3. Beatrice Cycle: http://dratv.com/ct90k2thru19.html

This is a reproduction semi-sealed beam for Honda CT110's. Accepts Double Contact Pre-focus bulbs, available from the same vender in 6v 15/15w, 20/20W, 35/35W and other 12v applications. Fits perfectly in my OEM Ace90/100 trim ring, Ace100B and later will still need to do the same mods to the trim ring as indicated before. It has a "vintage-looking" lens.

Overall, I think this would be the best option for all Hodakas if you want to maintain the vintage look, but the biggest disadvantage is that it is NOT DOT approved, if that really means anything... Here are some pictures I took of it: http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/rlkar ... /Headlight

Summary:

If you have an Ace90 or Ace 100 with the large headlight bucket, the Beatrice Cycle headlight will solve your headlight issues since they use the 6v 15/15w bulb and is a perfect fit inside the trim ring. The light costs ~$30, and replacement bulbs are ~ $5.00. You won't need the 3-prong socket. The green wire is ground, the Blue wire is highbeam, and the white wire is low beam. Connect them appropriately to your headlight connections.

(A side note here concerning Ace90/100 trim rings. I purchased a repro trim ring and the opening was too small, but every OEM trim ring I tried, fit perfectly. So if you have a repro trim ring, you may have to widen the opening a little, maybe about 1/8" total.)

For all other bikes, you can choose between all three. The Autopal and Candlepower bulbs feature a modern, (supposedly more efficient), lens pattern and an H4 Halogen bulb which burns much brighter. Bulbs are available from many venders. The Beatrice Cycle bulb has a more vintage look. Bulbs for this one may be available at your local Honda shop. For all three options, you will have to cut the brackets and widen the headlight opening in your trim ring by about 1/8" in. For me, this was not difficult.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer and update with more info. As far as I'm concerned, this issue is solved.

Roger
RHall1972

Re: Hodaka Headlight Options **Solution**

Post by RHall1972 »

Terrific info! Thanks so much for your research and putting so much effort into this, Roger.

--Russell
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

I thank you also, I have had a burned out low beam on my ace 90 for years and had almost given up on ever getting a replacement. This look like a good cheaper way to do it.
Terry
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Thanks for the "thanks"... I have another update... I found a another option for those that want to maintain the vintage look on the Ace100B and later bikes.

Honda part number 33120-243-671 is the exact same as our 6v 35/35w sealed beams. I don't have one in my hands yet but according to the specs I've found, it's the same size with the mounting tabs! And the lens pattern is the same. But what is even better is that it uses the Double Contact Pre-focus bulbs. The disadvantage is that they are also discontinued, but they seem to still be plentiful according to my Google searches. You would just need the socket and bulb which are still available at your local Honda shop or Beatrice Cycle.

Note: 33120-243-671 is superseded by part number 33120-243-672 which is the same bulb but it is a sealed beam at 6v 35/25w. Which would still work just fine

And another one: Honda Part number 33120-428-671 is a true sealed beam 6v 35/36.5w. Same size. mounting tabs and all. Apparently still available at your local Honda dealer.

Roger
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Hi Guys
I sell on Ebay the perfect fit 6 volt headlight for the Ace 90 & 100 with the 3 prong plug. I also have the perfect fit 6 volt for the 125 and higher
thats fits perfect with the right color coded wires. There not that expensive. Just search hodaka headlight on ebay.
Thanks
MTRob
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

MTROB I think the ace 90 and early 100's used a 15w/15w headlight so that would not work on the early bikes. The later 100b had the 30w or I could be all wrong on that but pretty sure the 90 was a 15 watt.
Terry
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Correct Terry. The Ace 90/100/100B used a 6v 15/15w sealed beam with a PAR46 base, (the three prongs), and the Ace 90 version was slightly larger than all the Ace 100 versions. (part# 909305 vs 909305C) The Ace 100B+ used a 6v 15/15w bulb with connecting wires.

Terry, that Beatrice bulb would do well with your Ace 90. I think you'll be happy with it if you decide to go that way. I forgot to mention that their bulb is a halogen, and should be a little brighter even at 15W.

Roger

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MTROB!
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Thanks Roger, I am getting one of those real soon to get my 90 back to 100%.
Terry
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hello and thank you. I live in Columbus Ohio this place http://intstore.dixiemc.com/ sells sealed beams that fit Hodakas just fine. Problem is it is not open to the public. Maybe Paul could get some. I bought one but it blew out the first day. I'm guessing a wiring problem not a product problem. Anyone know why it would blow. I had to resolder the black connector maybe I wired it wrong.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

The headlight I have for the 125 is perfect fit 6 volt, color coded wires plug & Play (match Hodaka) is 6 volt 35 / 25 watts. Works great and is made by Stanley. Listed in Ebay under hodaka Headlight. Will discount $5.00 to any Hodaka Chat member. just add note when ordering and I'll discount them on my end.
Thanks
Guys
MTRob
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Current ongoing discussion of Roger's article, giving it a bump.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

MTRob. I search Hodaka headlight and get all kinds of things. How about a clue or a link? Thanks! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

MTRob's post is more than 3 years old. I'm sure the eBay ad is expired by now. ;-)
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Hydraulic Jack